Thursday, February 15, 2007

Cyborgs Impact on Society

It wasn't until this class, that I realized how significant Cyborgology is to our society. I always imagined cyborgs as being these unnatural type creatures on movies and television. A huge fad in the Xbox gamer’s world is Halo. The main character and hero in this game is a cyborg. The main character in the game is a cyborg. Until recently I have not given much thought to anything other than those things as being cyborgs. I thought of cyborgs as things in my imagination created by entertainment sources. While having tunnel-vision, I did not realize all of the cybernetic occurrences that are taking place around me . I did not correlate them with the prosthetics, implants, and other technological advances that our culture benefits from.

We are developing more advanced ways of creating artificial body parts or implants in the real life. A cyborg is “the melding of the organic and the machinic, or the engineering of a union between separate organic systems” (Gray, Mentor, and Figueraa-Sarriera 2). I find it interesting how people, including myself, will buy futuristic games that have these cyborgs and feel as if it is an escape from real life. Yes, we may not be taking over the world, I hope not, but we do share some of the same technological advances that the games do. Just surviving in real life is a game in itself. Like we mentioned in class, there are games that we sometimes have to play, such as college, if we want to graduate or win. Life is like a game that we have to play if we want to survive, and if that means us taking advantage of our technological progress to repair our bodies, then playing the game becomes a little easier and I am always for making life a little easier than it has to be. We have developed into these cyborgs over time so, what will we evolve to next?

Gray, Chris Hables, Seven Mentor, and Heidi J. Figueroa-Sarriera. "Constructing the Know ledge of Cybernetic Organisms." Cyborgology

1 comment:

GRLucas said...

Do you mean "Cyborgs' Impact"?

I expect a bit more writing, Josh. Instead of rehearsing class discussion, perhaps you can add something to it with your blog? Some secondary research might help.